[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
18 December 2016 | Beach Road, Sea Point
Come join an epic ancient street festival that has been going on for more then 5000 years. Originally celebrated in Jagannath Puri, Orissa, it is now celbrated in all major cities across the earth and we are proud to host the 10th annual Festival of Chariots, also known as Ratha-yatra (ratha=chariot, yatra=procession), in Cape Town.
This festival was celebrated only in Jagannath Puri, until the Interational Society for Krishna Conscoiousness brought it to the world in 1967.
The procession starts at 10am sharp, on Beach Road, Seapoint, and will continue for about an hour and a half, after which there will be many things happening at the various tents at the festival ground by the promenade. The whole festival is family friendly.
- Main Stage – Programme of entertainment and presentation of different aspects of Vedic culture.
- Free Prasad – Complementary vegetarian meal.
- Govinda’s – Sumptuous sweets and savouries.
- Books – Books about yoga, meditation and philosophy.
- Q&A – Information about Vedic culture and philosophy through discussion and questions and answers.
- Medhi & Gopi dots – Face painting and traditional mendhi designs.
- Kirtana – Mantra meditation accompanied by traditional instruments.
- Hari-nama meditation – The ancient science of personal mantra meditation.
- Childrens corner – Engagement for children.
- Yoga – Instruction and practice of the ancient science of hatha yoga.
Venue: Beach Road, Sea Point
Time: Sunday 18 December, 9:45 am – 5 pm
Contact: 0216858384 | https://www.facebook.com/events/1718638928462188/
Cape Festivals cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information and visitors are advised to check the event organisers’ website and social media for the most up to date information.